Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane 1 faults

Thread: Megane 1 faults
View Single Post
post #70 of (permalink) Old 28th March 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Megane 1 faults

Originally Posted by deano23285 View Post
I wanna build up a list ofMegane 1 faults so that anyone lookiong to buy one or in fact owns one needs to know what tends to go wrong.
so far the only major thing is the Recirculation flap in the dash
I got my sec hand 1998 Megane, about a month ago. It looked a very well cared for, unmarked & clean car.
After driving a bashed up Renault Express for a long time, the Megane was Driving Heaven.
(Im in France so guessed it cant be hard to find repairs.)
!!!!!!!!!!!!NOW I AM WORRIED!!!
It stopped a couple of times in the first few days. For no apparent reason, & I guessed it was because the car had been standing around, unused.
I made sure the battery was fully recharged before setting off again.
For about 2 weeks no problems at all. Everything (except the radio, I dont mind that not working)
worked perfectly.

BUT the last four days - very worrying. It has stopped 4 times, twice in car parks BUT last time at a busy junction.
I am GUESSING there is a dodgy connection, as the engine has cut out when there has been a small BUMP, like - when I drove over one of those built up, bumps in the road. Not every time, but this has seemed to be the cause for at least 3 of the last three stops. It restarts IMMEDIATELY when connected via jump leads, to another battery.
I am afraid to use it at the moment. I have a spare, charged up battery, in the back, BUT, if it cuts out on a busy road, it could cause an accident.
Dont know what to do.
I need to be absolutely sure that fault is fixed, no half baked jobs. But dont know how serious it might be, and if I ought to go to the best Renault garage to be sure, which would prob be very expensive. (Im totally ignorant about cars)

I would suggest buyers ask about electrical faults when buying second hand - maybe get a guarantee? I didnt have one.
Any ideas/suggestions about my Meg. & what the best thing to do is?
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome