Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane 1 faults

Thread: Megane 1 faults
View Single Post
post #71 of (permalink) Old 28th March 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Megane 1 faults

Thank you for your kind 'tell us your probs' post....
I posted this Q, this afternoon, so anything you can tell me - THANK YOU!
Just wondering if i should attempt to drive it to big, main Renault garage, and get a diagnostics test done pronto...
I got my sec hand 1998 Megane, about a month ago. It looked a very well cared for, unmarked & clean car.
After driving a bashed up Renault Express for a long time, the Megane was Driving Heaven.
(Im in France so guessed it cant be hard to find repairs.)
!!!!!!!!!!!!NOW I AM WORRIED!!!
It stopped a couple of times in the first few days. For no apparent reason, & I guessed it was because the car had been standing around, unused.
I made sure the battery was fully recharged before setting off again.
For about 2 weeks no problems at all. Everything (except the radio, I dont mind that not working)
worked perfectly.

BUT the last four days - very worrying. It has stopped 4 times, twice in car parks BUT last time at a busy junction.
I am GUESSING there is a dodgy connection, as the engine has cut out when there has been a small BUMP, like - when I drove over one of those built up, bumps in the road. Not every time, but this has seemed to be the cause for at least 3 of the last three stops. It restarts IMMEDIATELY when connected via jump leads, to another battery.
I am afraid to use it at the moment. I have a spare, charged up battery, in the back, BUT, if it cuts out on a busy road, it could cause an accident.
Dont know what to do.
I need to be absolutely sure that fault is fixed, no half baked jobs. But dont know how serious it might be, and if I ought to go to the best Renault garage to be sure, which would prob be very expensive. (Im totally ignorant about cars)

I would suggest buyers ask about electrical faults when buying second hand - maybe get a guarantee? I didnt have one.
Any ideas/suggestions about my Meg. & what the best thing to do is?
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome