Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Motorway Madness - A Rant

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 29th March 2011
Paul Dengel
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Motorway Madness - A Rant

This thread seems to tick all the boxes I have on my most hated list after more than 20 years driving. Having passed my test in 88 and had many years of claim free driving since I do have a good laugh at some of the driving I see on the road, especially in 'difficult' conditions. I have ADI and am a qualified driving instructor, although I never did it as a job as I got a teaching job after qualifying (while unemployed) and have been doing that instead.

I remember clearly the day I passed my test and was indeed on th M25 in a tired 1.1 litre Fiesta within hours of passing my test off to a big party at a friends place 40 miles away.

The roads were obviously less busy then but thinking back on it, I just did it with full confidence that I had just passed my test so obviously knew it all.

I am on the fince about trucks and such, my family had a haulage firm until it was sold in the late 90's and the first thing I drove was a 71/2 tonne truck as I used to park them in the yard as a kid. I think having spent many, many miles on the motorways as a passenger in all sorts of vehicles while growing up, helped me to develop a better view of what is expected of you as a driver.

My biggest groan though is discourteous drivers, always in a hurry, cut into your braking zone, the list could go on forever. I see this even at the end of my road, often full with traffic at school time yet people will not leave a gap so you can turn right, they just squeeze up tight, because those few extra feet mean so much!

I sympathise very much with the op, there is madness on the roads of all sorts and much of that is down to a lack of training/experience. The modern instructor has to take a learner onto national speed limit roads and fast dual carriageways, but this still doesn't make up for the lack of real motorway training in the current testing system. I have been an advocate of limiting the type of cars new drivers can drive and where they can drive them until they have taken and passed a second harder driving course within a fixed time of passing their basic test to drive up the standards of driving on our roads.

I am though a grumpy git as my wife loves to remind me, so what do I know!
Currently in Paul Dengel's garage:
57 BMW 520d (177 bhp) SE Tourer and a 51 1.2 16v Clio Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome