Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic II - Access the resistor pack in 5 mins.

View Single Post
post #166 of (permalink) Old 5th April 2011
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic II - Access the resistor pack in 5 mins.

I received in 2008 some criticism from some of you for not being willing to publish the full design of my resistor substitute using 10 of components. This consists of 3 resistors on a heatsink that mounts behind (as you look at it) the easy to get at fascia by the handbrake control. It is wired into the fan switch so there is no need to access the difficult to get at blower area.

aahbarnes publication of his simple way to get to this area rather negated the value of my solution as it is now easier to reach the blower. But not that easy, especially if you have not got slim arms, and you still need to buy a new resistor pack and replacement loom from Renault costing >>50.

I was unwilling partly because I was concerned it might catch fire and I did not want to get blamed by others copying the design. My unwillingness has been partly justified as it has failed twice in 3 years, but nowhere near catching fire.

One resistor burnt out as the heatsink proved not big enough to keep it cool. I added a small cooling fan to the heatsink but would choose a bigger heatsink instead if starting from scratch. Then it failed because it was still relying on the blower current flowing though the loom via 2 of the old resistor pack connections. These eventually burnt out. I had to remove the connector using aahbarnes method and short 2 wires of the loom to take the current straight from my resistors to the blower.

So the 10 solution still works but needed some design changes and a lot of man-hours.
Currently in echase's garage:
04 Scenic 1.9dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome