Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio fuel tank distorted after fuel pump replacement

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th April 2011 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Clio fuel tank distorted after fuel pump replacement

So, I bought a 2001 Renault Clio back in November which developed an intermittent starting fault almost ummediately. Took it back to the dealer who eventually sorted it out with a new fuel pump. Had it back nearly a month now and at the weekend it began to stink of petrol. Took it to my mechanics who could see that petrol was leaking out of the top but were unable to remove fuel tank cap. Went back to dealer who sent me directly to the mechanics who had done the work - these turned out to be the mechanics who my dad has always used so I do tend to trust them. They told me that it is common on Renaults for the fuel tank to distort after having a new pump fitted and this is why the cap was stuck fast. They managed to remove it eventually and refit the seal, they then put the cap back on although they couldn't turn it back around the normal number of times so covered it with gaffa tape! This does seem to be working but seems a bit Heath Robinson and makes me uneasy.

I have looked online and can see that it is true that Renault fuel tanks have a habit of doing this and I'm not the only one to have had the issue. However, my question is - if the fuel tank distorts, is this down to the fuel pump having been fitted incorrectly/inexpertly? If the work had been carried out at a Renault garage, could this still have happended? Wondering if I have any grounds to demand a replacement fuel tank on the basis that they didn't do the work properly? Not keen to splash out on a new fuel tank myself, especially as the need for it is as a result of a fault that was there when I bought the car.

Any help much appreciated!
Currently in somethingofadreamer's garage:
2001 Renault Clio Dynamique
  5 Lastest Threads by somethingofadreamer
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Clio fuel tank distorted after fuel pump... Cars & motoring somethingofadreamer 3 6105 14th April 2011 10:45 AM
2001 Clio intermittently won't start Engines somethingofadreamer 4 2783 7th December 2010 08:33 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome