Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Supermarket Petrol

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 15th April 2011
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Fishing the Sea Champion
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 11
Re: Supermarket Petrol

Originally Posted by mrtotty View Post
With respect, filling stations know that most people do not check prices, so they will jack them up to the highest level they can get away with. If we all as motorists became a little more discerning and checked prices carefully, then filling stations would not get off so lightly and prices would come down a little.
At the end of my village is a BP station that charges 142.9p/litre for diesel, and just two km away is a Shell station that charges 138.9p. The differential can sometimes be as much as 6p/litre. The only reason the BP station gets away with this sort of blatant profiteering is because people fill up there 'because it's closer'.
You see i don't have a problem with garages themselves, its the Tax on fuel where the problem of high prices comes from,the Government makes more pence per litre on tax than the oil company's themselves do, and with this so called Global Warming? Yeah Right ? and problems in the Middle East oil prices are only set to rise iam afraid,i for one iam not going to kid myself thinking that fuel prices will fall? i hope they do? but i doubt it,

As for them Country local garages with extra increased prices compared to some they have to stay competitive and be able to make a profit to make the business work or they'll cease operate,i for one would give to my local garage if i had such a garage? as they have all disappeared over the years due to the big corporate giants like supermarkets that we are so kindly feeding our money to,so i don't blame them for there high prices i would do the same if i were in the shoes.

Cheers Don
Currently in Donald's garage:
2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Classic SE Kompresser & 1998 Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting,some may say i could do far better?,i say i could do far worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donald For This Useful Post:
VelSatisfied (15th April 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome