Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Scenic II - Petrol Flap locking solenoid - how do I get to it?

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 17th April 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Scenic II - Petrol Flap locking solenoid - how do I get to it?

Originally Posted by Repairman44 View Post
For reference...

The unit can be reached by removing the rear lamp cluster (via trim) and the foam pad which covers an access hole. The unit is secured by just the nut and the screw thread which protrudes into the fuel cap box. Don't do it up too tight or you can snap the plastic screwed lug off!
Thanks for your advice!

Here's my experience also for reference...

On the Scenic RX4 there's a special access hatch for this solenoid inside one of the rear panel bins just fore of the light cluster, so access is as simple as loosening the nut after opening the fuel flap, then opening the hatch and retrieving the solenoid.

EDIT: Not sure this particular fuel flap lock is actually called a solenoid since a stepper motor and gear drives the pushrod.

Mine was making those terrible crunching noises. Turns out the plastic pushrod (or whatever it's called) snapped. See photo below. On this solenoid there are simply 5 clips with easy access for a 3-4mm wide flat screwdriver. It really was a snap opening it. Everything else works perfectly. Here in South Africa the Renault parts are particularly costly, so fixing this rather than buying new is a no-brainer. I first need to clean the grease off the mating surfaces, then using a Dremel tool I'll drill perhaps a 1.5 - 2mm diameter core into the pushrod into both directions to insert a metal pin for extra strength and expanded glue surface.

Currently in SaladDressing's garage:
Renault Scenic RX4

Last edited by SaladDressing; 17th April 2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added note about mechanism type
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome