Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Anyone ever had to claim against the AA?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 26th April 2011 Thread Starter
Paul Dengel
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Anyone ever had to claim against the AA?

Hi People,

As the subject says, have any of you ever had cause to claim against the AA?

Somed of you may have seen some of my recent tale of woe re my phantom turbo failure and all the subsequent investigations to get my car running again.

For those who haven't:

Last Sunday, London to Brum and back all good 50MPG

Monday afternoon tried to start the car for the first time since getting back with no luck. It seemed there was no fuel, but otherwise turning over fine.

Called out the AA to try for some free diagnostics/advice (My AA is provided by my bank)

AA man did no diagnostics, removed air inlet pipe from manifold and sprayed quantities of injector cleaner directly into the manifold while instructimg me to continually tuen over engine.

Car eventually started but with an apparent misfire, so he kept it running at 3K RPM.

Suddenly engine ran out of control at 5-6K RPM and seemed to run on, producing huge clouds of smelly blue smoke. I stalled the car and he said, Turbo seals had gone.

Interim diagnostics showed only O2 sensor fault.

So off to garage for new turbo and related gubbins, only to find same symptoms upon completion.

After much good feedback from here tried replacing TDC sensor, no change.

Paid for mobile mechanic with Renault Clip diagnostics in his van to look and he says fuel pump.

Now I in private may admit that I should not always act on the advice of others, but as a non mechanic I am in a position where I have to accept the expert advice of those who place themselves on that position.

The AA state only that there patrol did what he felt was correct and accept no responsibility for any repairs that may be carried out on his advice.

My question is this, did he not create the symptoms himself in the first place?

Did he by trying to force the car to start, having failed to carry out any diagnostics, potentially cause damage or at least false symptoms through his actions?

Is it true that spraying quantities of injector cleaner into a cranking/running diesel engine is potentially dangerous?

I need to get as much info/expert opinion/evidence as I intend to claim against the AA for losses as a result of his actions and the subsequent unnecessary repairs carried out as a result.

OK, it turns out there are a lot of questions in there, but I do feel that he is at least partly responsible for the subsequent costs.

I am in danger of rambling so will stop here and leave it to anyone who has any good ideas/advice for me.

Thanks in advance.

Currently in Paul Dengel's garage:
57 BMW 520d (177 bhp) SE Tourer and a 51 1.2 16v Clio Dynamique
  5 Lastest Threads by Paul Dengel
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio II sunroof leaking? Bodywork flyingtrout 12 3417 15th June 2011 01:13 PM
Clio 2 Tuner list AUX In? In-car entertainment costeau 7 11488 11th June 2011 07:53 PM
03 Lag2 Initiale Tourer or 08 BMW 520d Msport... Cars & motoring Paul Dengel 16 3521 6th June 2011 06:46 PM
Before it goes to Renault does anyone know what... Engines madnoel10 27 6868 28th April 2011 10:10 AM
Anyone ever had to claim against the AA? Cars & motoring 3 2063 26th April 2011 03:00 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome