Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Anyone ever had to claim against the AA?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 26th April 2011
Re: Anyone ever had to claim against the AA?

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post

But having said that I can't see using it could cause either a turbo or fuel pump failure. Spraying injector cleaner into the engine owuld only cause it to run for a very short period and at fairly low rpm so for the engine to rev at 5,000 to 6,000 rpm it would need another fuel supply and in this case judging from the smoke the supply was the engine oil . The most likely route being via failed turbo oil seals.
You'd be surprised if the air filter was left in.
The carb cleaner / easy start doesn't really seem to do much in liquid form, but as a gas (ie the fumes) makes it kick into life.
We have an old forklift at the farm my engineering shop is on, and the farm mechanic had to use something to help bleed the diesel through after a filter change, so came to me and nicked some carb cleaner as he was out of easy start.
Unfortunately it took about 30 seconds of spraying into the air filter before it started, and when it did, it came with clouds of black smoke and revs you only hear from a F1 car!
Fuel stop didn't matter, it was running on neat ethanol (or whatever is in the can) for about 20 seconds
After lots of knocking, rattling and clonking, it finally stopped, then started right on they key with no ill effects.
It was a 'touching cloth' time for a while though, wondering what was going to give way first!

Lesson learned....... remove the air filter first
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome