Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace - Steering Stiff/No Self-Centering*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 28th April 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Espace - Steering Stiff/No Self-Centering*FIXED*

I had a couple of problems with my 00 mk3 Espace.
Master/slave hydraulics for clutch and Heavy steering which we put down to a proper leaking power steering pump.
A local mechanic diagnosed the problems for us but didn't fancy the work and on this occasion we decided to go to Renault Main Dealer in Liffey Valley Dublin.. We booked the car in telling them our problems and also what we had been told we needed.
They ordered the parts 800 and requested this be paid up front. The car was supposed to be in for 2 days but ended up in for 7 days including w/end. They gave us the car back with the job done but the service manager said the steering wasn't fixed (in fact it was worse) really heavy then light and heavy again. We paid up our 1340 or so to Renault. The Manager told us it was a problem with the steering rack and it would require a new rack and a days labour. I was gutted as the car isnt even worth the total cost of repair.

Having read this thread i decided to take the advice and hey presto a good soaking in wd40 - a drive - and a dousing of grease it steers perfectly.. Well i rang the garage and told him what i thought!! He then warned me about using the internet and told me there was a risk of this sticking and this wasn't the answer to my problem...I Promptly replied with so how many replacement parts would i have went through before getting to the REAL nub of my problem.

Renault Main dealers -- Do not bring if your expecting that little bit more care or better diagnosis.

Thanks for this post --
Currently in bte72's garage:
2000 Espace mkIII 2.0 16v
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome