Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace Mk4, 2004 2litre petrol - brakes

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 3rd May 2011 Thread Starter
Big Dav
Diamond member
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Espace Mk4, 2004 2litre petrol - brakes

I have an Espace 2 litre petrol as titled.
I hav e noticed when sitting stationary with engine running, as if at traffic lights, the brake pedal starts falling.
I have had a garage look at the system and cannot establish any defect, Renault have been contacted and are unaware of any problems.
A rolling brake tester machine was employed and it showed very good braking efficiency to such an extend that with the falling pedal the efficiency actually increased.
If the engine is stopped a couple of presses empties the servo and a high solid brake pedal is maintained.
When the engine is started and revved, the brake pedal sinks again corresponding to the vacuum of the engine decelerating.
On the open road the pedal always behaves as expected and has (touch wood) been faultless.
I have even stopped the car on a steep gradient hill to establish if the pedal would fall and the brake start to fail but in the "test" the pedal remained firm and braking efficiency maintained.
The examining mechanic wonders if it is a feature of the brake system and not a fault as apparently some Mercedes vans display a similar charachteristic.
Has anyone else experienced any of the above and if so what was the outcome?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Currently in Big Dav's garage:
2010 Renault Espace 2.0dci
  5 Lastest Threads by Big Dav
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
climate control,cannot vary cabin temperature... Heating & cooling Big Dav 4 346 30th May 2016 11:16 AM
Head gasket going/gone? Engines Coventry 4 230 8th January 2016 05:14 PM
Track/show insurance Cars & motoring Phil48 5 936 9th July 2015 03:28 AM
Window partially opens Electronics Big Dav 0 591 24th August 2014 04:27 PM
DPF clog cause? Espace 2.0dci175 FAP Exhausts Big Dav 7 2449 1st March 2014 01:57 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome