Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic II as learner car?

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 5th May 2011
Paul Dengel
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Scenic II as learner car?

Originally Posted by Azurael View Post
I don't get the size thing... If you're too nervous to drive a proper car, you shouldn't be trying to drive at all... Perhaps that's why so few drivers actually seem to know how wide their vehicles are and thus cause infuriating traffic jams waiting where two cars (or in cases previously demonstrated, even two vans) could easily pass (or perhaps that's another Westcountry thing ) And the Scenic is not a big car, by any means - yes, it's bigger than a supermini, but it's only really taller than a small family car and I see Focus(es)(i)(')[Delete as appropriate], Ashtrays and similar with 'L' plates on all the time. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong as I've never driven one, but I'd imagine they're fairly easy to manoeuvre - a nice big rear window on a car with a non-slopey back should help prevent reversing mishaps (I still maintain that my Lag1 estate was easier to park than either of the hatches that followed for reasons of rear visibility alone!) and they have a nice, upright driving position with what looks like quite good all-round visibility (bar the 'A' pillars, of course, which are horrible on all modern cars.)
Agree 100%, as a qualified driving instructor I find it increasingly frustrating that driving schools persist with small cars and churn out drivers with no skill. The AA are the only school to use a medium car (Focus) which should be the minimum size for learners imho.

My family ran a haulage ccompany so the first thing I drove weighed 7.5Ton, interestingly I have been sriving since '88 and have never caused an accident although I have been hit 3 times by other drivers all with the most absurd excuses. 1 Who hit me from behind was 'looking at his shoes' at the time.

In answer to the OP, The auto handbrake is a bit of an issue for the test, so it is important that the learner can operate a manual handbrake properly. But as far as the size of the car, Learning in a larger car can only be a good thing as it enables the learner to develop a greater awareness of their presence on the road. Personally I would make sure any 'aids' like parking sensors are disabled if possible to ensure the learner is judging distances rather than relying on them.

Good luck to them, and a nice little twingo or even a clio as a starter car?
Currently in Paul Dengel's garage:
57 BMW 520d (177 bhp) SE Tourer and a 51 1.2 16v Clio Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome