Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to actually test drive a car?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 8th May 2011
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Send a message via MSN to Mike11 Send a message via Skype™ to Mike11
Re: How to actually test drive a car?

TBH as you are buying nearly new and from a dealership it should be ok. However, when you do your drive you want to check everything works as it should. You mention ABS, go on a quiet road and let the guy know what you are going to do. Then drive along and slam the brakes on. you don't need to be breaking limits, just 30 would be plenty.

As for the rest. I mainly listen out for any strange noise, groaning sounds etc whilst driving along and also find a bumpy road, or speed bump to give the suspension a test. Don't drive too slow over them or it would defeat the object.

I have also gone into a car park and done a full lock whilst driving to check no noise or unwanted bangs are present there too, then switch to the other lock and do 2 big circles.

This above is from personal experience, not a must do. The newest car I have bought was an 02 plate 2 years ago. Like I said, a car a new as the one you are looking at should be near a dam it, perfect tbh.

Don't forget to check the bodywork for dings etc on it as these could void they corrosion warranty.

And of course a good check of all electrical switches etc to make sure they all work and a good look round the engine bay for leaks etc as well as under the car.

There are plenty of guides online for this sort of thing. I think Parkers has one on their site.

This isn't everything you can check but covers most base's. Hope this helps.
Currently in Mike11's garage:
An LPG powered Ford Focus ST170.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike11 For This Useful Post:
Chriscuk18 (8th May 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome