Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2006 renault scenic gearbox fault

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10th May 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: 2006 renault scenic gearbox fault

We had the same problem with our 06 Grand Scenic 2.0 VVT Auto, apparently this is a common problem by my reading on this forum.

When my wife was driving the car would suddenly make a bang sound then slow down, not what you want to happen when driving on a carriage way at 70mph, it feels like a clutch slipping, "GEARBOX FAULT" appeared on the display, she pulled to the side turned it off and restarted, same as you the display cleared and the car seemed to drive fine, but then it would happen again, repeated routine turn off and restart, ok for a while then would happen again, and again.

Finally ask Renault dealer to collect the car from home address hoping it would happen whilst he was driving, hey presto it did. Well got a call and was told it needed new gearbox. It had only done 30K at the time, lucky for me it was still under warranty, I have to mention whilst they did the job they also replaced the cambelt again under warranty, I don't know if it was a requirement because of the gearbox, or they just wanted to claim more money from RCS , I was happy about it. car now has 61K going good.

Now this might not be the same problem as you, but the syptoms sound the same as mine.

I agree with lags04, get this checked before it happens to you on the motorway like my wife. I would also reccommend contacting RCS due to the low mileage. They might check to see if you have full service history.

Let us know how you get on.

Currently in stewartw's garage:
Grand Scenic DCI,Grand Scenic LPG, Merc A150 LPG,Merc B180 cdi, Honda Blackbird
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome