Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Where does the fuel filler overflow hole lead to on a Megane II?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 16th May 2011 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Where does the fuel filler overflow hole lead to on a Megane II?

Hi, Thanks for the replies / suggestions.

Sorry in advance for this long post but any and all help will be very much appreciated!!

It's more of a humming noise (not rattling / vibration) and is definitely due to wind. The recent high winds have proven that it only occurs when the wind blows or there's a sudden gust.

It sounds like it comes from around the rear quarter window or rear drivers side door.

It's that annoying, that I've taken your advice and used some masking tape to rule out a few things, including:

- Fuel filler cap
- Rear quarter window
- Rear door / window surrounds
- Roof rails
- Roof strips underneath roof rails
- The gap along the top of the boot lid and down the sides to the bottom of the rear light clusters.

All of which were only tested on the drivers side.

I also removed the drivers side roof rail and the radio aerial, & the noise was still present.

I've even sat in the back while my girlfriend drove the car, and can only report that it continues to sound like it's coming from around the rear quarter / door / fuel filler cap area but more towards the roof - I suppose it could be from anywhere around that area because it resonates...

It seems louder when I open the rear windows, and is definitely even louder when the rear drivers side window is opened.

I'm planning on continuing the hunt with masking tape, and will test the following:

- Rear door handle
- Rear lower door surround (right down to the bottom)
- Rear door plastic insert
- All the way around the Boot lid
- The joint between the rear quarter and rear bumper panels.

If none of that works, I'll be jacking the car up and looking underneath for loose trims / holes, and then starting all the above on the opposite side!!

It really is doing my head in but I love my car so it's kinda ruining owning it ...

Any further suggestions / ideas to add to the list will be greatly appreciated because if I can't find this noise, this car will be going... and that'll be hard - I've spent a lot of time and money on it and have kinda fallen in love with it!

Currently in andyellis111's garage:
2014 Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.6dci 130 GT Line TomTom SS with black and cream leather heated seats
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome