Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - RX4 - coincidence - 1 day, 2 breakdowns?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 27th August 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy RX4 - coincidence - 1 day, 2 breakdowns?

I have a Scenic RX4 1.9dci (2000) with about 80,000 km on the clock - I'm based in France.

I've never really had any problems with the car, it's serviced by Renault, I do a mix of 70% local driving with a few long jaunts.

But yesterday I had a total shocker!

I was driving for about 3hrs on a 130km/ph road when the cam belt broke. Without the power steering I pulled over and called assistance. They loaded it onto the lorry, took it in and fitted a new one pretty quickly. They said that I was lucky that the belt didn't damage anything else. They also said I should replace the tensioner at some time soon.

Anyway I continued on my journey when 100km later there was a massive noise. I changed down to 4th and the noise stopped. I dropped down to 3rd and the noise was back. So I stopped and called the assistance. Back on a lorry and into another garage. He stripped off the cover of the gear box to reveal that one of the cogs was completely chewed up.

What a day!

He says that I'll need a reconditioned gearbox.
(2,500 EURO incl. 8 hrs labour) He also said that the two things are totally unrelated and it was a coincidence.

It does seem a weird coincidence that after 80,000 km I needed to be loaded onto a wagon twice, both within 100 km of each other.

I just wondered if the two things might be related. Either the cam belt snapping or an incorrect fitting of the new belt. (the belt that cam off was ~1.5cm thick. the one he put on was about 3cm thick)

Does the belt go around a shaft which passes through the gearbox (excuse me if that is a dumb idea).

My car is now in a small countryside garage 300km from home so I don't know what to think or do.
  5 Lastest Threads by Helene
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
RX4 - coincidence - 1 day, 2 breakdowns? Cars & motoring chris m 7 1481 27th August 2006 05:30 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome