Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - headlamp replacement

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 21st May 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: headlamp replacement

I'm assuming your car is a Mk1 facelift model? If so, it's reasonably straightforward.and you should have the modified headlight lower mounting brackets to allow headlight removal with the front bumper still in position.
1. Remove front direction indicator. There's a hole in the bonnet crossmember above and behind the indicator. Loosen the retaining screw a few turns then slide the indicator unit forwards. Don't take the screw right out or you'll probably never get it back in.
2. With bonnet open, remove screw from centre of the radiator grille and remove the joining section.
3. Undo retaining screws and using a flat bladed screwdriver, release the lower retaining clips and slide the relevant half of the radiator grille forwards and away from the vehicle.
4. Disconnect all connectors from the back of the faulty headlight unit.
5. Remove bolts securing the headlight lower mounting brackets to the car body, remove upper retaining screw and clip, then manoeuvre the headlight unit forwards and away from the vehicle.
6. If you've got levelling motors on the headlights, remove the motor from the back of the unit by rotating it anti-clockwise and carefully unclip the balljoint from the back of the reflector.
7. Reverse the procedure to reassemble then get the beam alignment checked.

You will definitely need Torx drivers for the trim parts and be careful with the plastic clips.

If your car is a later model, all bets are off!

I replaced one on a '97 model which didn't have the modified lower brackets and by rights the whole bumper should have come off. I got away with loosening one side and bending it downwards then modifying the brackets myself with a hacksaw. Yours should be a bit easier.

Good luck...
Currently in datostar's garage:
2010 Megane 1.6VVT 110 Dynamique TomTom 5dr
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome