Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - To Strip down for parts or fix???

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd May 2011 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
To Strip down for parts or fix???

Good Afternoon all,
have been umming and Argh'ing over this for a couple of months and thought i'd ask the greater audience's opinions on what to do??
We were given the inlaws old '00 V plate Clio mk2 P1 1.4 16v Etoile in december '09, they bought an ex demo modus and as didnt qualify for the scrappage got the equivalent discount instead,
drove it for best part of a year, although only about 3-4k miles as was second car, in november last year during the frost/snow, the car suffered from the Cam belt idler pulley disintegrating and thus minor engine death!
i intended to put it back together and use it again although we dont really need a second car, (i dont work due to illness so do the school runs in the village - walking distance)
i've been weighing it up and trying to work out whats going to be best to do with it, at the moment scrap value is about 80-100 sa its not driveable (if you can drive it in its about 130-150!), repair costs to get it back on the road are going to be around 350 - 400(full top end kit,water pump, cam kit, valve spring copresser, valve grinder and paste, cam locking tool, then mot and tax) now, cars got 107k on it, is in average condition, (valeter by trade so can be made to look Uber clean for age very easily!!) and estimate value to be around 750-800,
now, the thing for me is that i dont enjoy driving it really, usual mk clio foibles, on off clutch, stiff accelerator, etc. its had plenty of work done to it from father in laws mechanic over the years, but has an issue i beleive with the alarm (factory cobra jobby when arrived in uk) thats draining the battery after a couple of days, so whne it was running was left with the batters disconected, Some theiving pikey took it apon themselves to have the fog lights out the bumper one evening (when it was on the drive i might add) so there gone, but has the 'sport' head lamps, and reletively decent trim inside,

so my thoughts are is it worth fixing or strip it for parts?? whats the interest like in parts?? is in Lazzuli blue i beleive?? (blue'y purply colour) apart from the shopping trolley dents, panels are in decent nick, interiors pretty good, decent tyres etc.
worth spending out on or cutting losses as such????

Ta very muchly in advance for replies and reading through my drivvle!!

Currently in thephyalls's garage:
'54 Modus 1.4, '98 Citoren Xantia TD Veg burner estate,'90 Citroen Bx 16V
  5 Lastest Threads by thephyalls
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Modus radiator support corrosion Bodywork madnoel10 1 112 20th August 2016 12:03 PM
Modus factory phone controls Electronics thephyalls 3 520 27th September 2014 06:41 PM
Modus 1.4 16v not turning over Engines thephyalls 9 1049 23rd September 2014 06:42 PM
To Strip down for parts or fix??? Cars & motoring Prestige_Decodes 5 1535 22nd May 2011 01:02 PM
mk2 p1 1.4 16v clio camblet gone, ('00 V plate) Engines thephyalls 6 6473 28th November 2010 12:40 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome