Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

View Single Post
post #54 of (permalink) Old 24th May 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Clio and Kangoo - Starting Problems -

I read this thread having had ongoing intermittent starting problems with my Kangoo 1.4 petrol 2003. I've replaced the tdc sensor and the coil pack, seemed to be ok for a week then the starting problems crept back gradually. Like others who have posted here, I would have to choose a quiet time to re-fuel as I could be at the pump for 10 minutes until the car started and couldnt leave the engine running while filling up!!
Having searched the Kangoo pages to not much avail I looked at the Clio pages (the Kangoo appears to be a like a Clio but far less appealing to the eye!) and hey presto - I cleaned my (only) key with "Bar Keeper's Friend" (careful not to wet the actual fob part) and put a few drops of wd40 on the key, inserted it, and it all worked. Amazing.
The red LED is such a useful indication for the problem as it would have saved many minutes of wear on my battery and starter motor.
Basically, the red LED on centre of the instrument display flashes about 1/second when no key in, then insert key and turn on ignition (but not to actually turn the engine over yet) - if it flashes faster then there is NO HOPE of the engine firing up, but if it stays on constant it starts first time just like a Renault should. Its all about the immobiliser and not at all about poor ignition system, fuel pump etc etc.
(Of course, if your red LED goes steady at ignition on , then you dont have this problem and you do need to look elsewhere.)
Currently in Pilch's garage:
2003 Kangoo 1.4 8v Auto Petrol;2010MAzda CX-7 2.2 Diesel
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome