Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - 2001 (Y) Clio II - Immobiliser Problem

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th August 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault - 2001 (Y) Clio II - Immobiliser Problem

I've got a 2001 (Y reg) Clio II, and it's developed what I think is an immobiliser problem.

When I unlock the car and try the ignition the immobiliser light on the dash-board flashes quickly, indicating (according to the driver's handbook) that the immobiliser hasn't been deactivated. Sure enough, if I bother to try to turn her over, she coughs and dies immediately.

However, if I sit there and use the key-remote to lock and then unlock the car, then try it again, it'll work, probably 5% of the time. It took me 8 minutes of trying this morning to start the motor to get to work.

This originally happened about 2 years ago, with the other key I've got, but I switched to the spare key, and it worked fine, no problems up 'til now. (I recognise I'm a Bad Lad for not getting the original key sussed out at the time - I thought it was just a fault with that key).

I've searched on the internet, and on this site, and it doesn't sound like (to my very inexperienced ear) the TDC Sensor problem - at least I haven't seen anyone else mention that trying different car-keys made any difference at any point, and no-one else has mentioned the dashboard light flashing to indocate a problem.

I've rung up my local Renault dealership (Reg Vardy, Sheffield), and they want to book it in for a diagnostic which is going to cost me 65+vat just to find out what's wrong with it.

Anyone got any suggestions? I hate giving money to Vardy's, after the way they conned my wife when she originally bought the motor.
Currently in mattbarton's garage:
2001 Renault Clio II 1.2 Grande
  5 Lastest Threads by mattbarton
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault - 2001 (Y) Clio II - Immobiliser Problem Cars & motoring Headache1 17 5177 29th August 2006 10:36 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome