Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Replacing Kangoo brakes

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 4th June 2011
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Re: Replacing Kangoo brakes

The ends of the disc retaing screws protrude slightly at the back of the hub and become corroded. Quite a common problem and not just on Renaults I'm afraid. The only purpose the screws do is to retain the disc when the wheel is removed. They perfrom no safety function when in fact the discs are primarliy held in place by the wheel and its bolts or studs.

Most people just drill the heads off and fit the new discs but if you drill a small hole in the centre of the existing unmovable bolts you can force a self-tapper in and as long as its head doesn't interfere with the wheel all should be OK. One screw is sufficient.
I have done this on mumerous occasions. Some makes of car have no retaining screws whatsoever and as corrosion between the new disc and hub forms fairly rapidly the disc remains in place when the wheel is removed.

I wouldn't recommend heating the bolts too hot in case it damages the wheel bearing.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome