Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna estate 2.2 DCi any good ?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 30th August 2006
Banned User
Curveball Champion
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 10
Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,879 Posts
With the GT 2.2 Lag 2 on one occasion, I've had 36 MPG over a 110 mile journey while pulling the shed. Although I think this was wind assisted because the return journey a week later returned 29 MPG
The car and the rig handle well very stable if loaded right
Solo MPG to and from work 10 miles there & 10 back ATM 39 MPG this is using Shell diesel not the ****te from the super markets which yielded around 33 /34 MPG.
I dunno for sure what revs / MPH in 5th gear the Lag 2 gives out the full engine torque, but it doesnít seem anywhere near so comfortable when towing as the old Lag 1 did BTW it will chug, along in 6th gear @ 60 MPH OK if the going is pretty flat, but 6th gear doesn't leave you with much slack, its OK on the Mways but on many A roads you can be up and down the gearbox like a Bulgarian fiddlers elbow, but I guess Renault didnít have in mind the 6th gear for peeps towing caravans.
Because I've never driven one I am aware of the fact that this is subjective, but I don't think I'd like towing with any make of 1.9
For towing, I think the Lag 1 (2.2 RTDT) was exceptional. TBH for me the Lag 1 (2.2 RTDT) was a much better proposition for shed towing not 100% sure if this was because the full engine torque was achieved at less engine revs.
On the Lag 1 the full torque in 5th gear came in at 2000 RPM equalling around 55 MPH by which time the lag would pull the friggin house down, I frequently found I was incessantly being nudged by her in doors, at the same time I also found I was very comfortably doing, very well in excess of the legal Mway Max, this BTW was mentioned to me on one occasion by a man in a pointed hat, but after a bit of grovelling it all ended OK.
During the 7 or 8 years I had the Lag 1 while towing Iíve always been proud to say that no other tow car and rig ever overtook us. This made me feel smug.
The (Lag 1) 2.2 RTDT was the best tow car I've ever had.
Currently in hondo's garage:
1.6 Valve-Matic SR. Red hot, toasty feet.

Last edited by hondo; 30th August 2006 at 07:28 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome