Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Question about Scenic 2005 (54 Plate) brakes

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11th June 2011
Big Dav
Diamond member
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Question about Scenic 2005 (54 Plate) brakes

When you are referring to "brake fade" I anticipate you are describing a falling brake pedal as opposed to the brakes taking a lot of foot pressure to get the brakes to work?

I have had a falling brake pedal when the car engine is running and particularly noticeable say if waiting at traffic lights, with the car on level ground. Turn the engine off and the brake pedal goes solid (as it shoud) thus suggesting the master cylinder is OK. I took my car to an MOT garage to have the staff there check the system - brake efficiency was absolutely excellent - they couldn't detect any faults and were puzzled.
I explored the internet and found the driver of a Ford F150 reporting similar in the USA - his resolve had been to replace a brake balance valve somewhere on that type of car, related to the ABS.
I eventually managed to speak to a Renault mechanic who, when I started explaining my cars symptoms, he finished the query and then commenced with the reply.
He explained the Renault Trafic's do the same trick, the reason being there is a pressure relief valve in the ABS/EBA etc systems on the car that will relieve the pressure to protect the components - quite normal and nothing to worry about.
Since then I have heard of possibly VW Transporters and Ford Transits demonstarting similar characteristics.

As always, if worried about your brake system get it professionally checked.
I am not a mechanic but offer this to share my experience of the Espace I drive.
Currently in Big Dav's garage:
2010 Renault Espace 2.0dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome