Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Wheelie bin spy chip update

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 31st August 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I don't know what's stored, but RFID tags can be either read only or read/write, with the latter generally costing more.

At a most basic level, I'd assume they'd have a unique read-only serial number. A read/write chip might also maintain details of when the bin was last emptied, to try and catch out people with my little plan (wheel the bin into the next street that has a different collection date.) With the date stored locally on the chip and some kind of indicator on the truck, the collectors could refuse to empty bins that had already been emptied within so many days.

Billing by weight would, in some regards, be fairer than the proportion of everyone's council tax that currently goes into refuse disposal. Our local recycling scheme was prompted not by the desire to 'go green' but by the fact that they're rapidly running out of landfill space to dump the stuff in. The more weight (or more likely, volume) that you throw in the main bin, the quicker the landfills fill up. Apparently once our current local ones are full, our council tax bills are going to shoot through the roof.

Of course if you charge by weight, you'll then get some people who'll dump heavy rubbish in other people's bins while they're not looking. As for me? I'd be bagging up the heavy stuff, lobbing it in the trailer and running it up to the tip (although our local tip now requires a permit for large trailers, and you only get so many permits per year.)
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome