Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Wheelie bin spy chip update

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 31st August 2006
chris m
Let's be carefull out there
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Send a message via MSN to chris m
I used to be a manager for a refuse collection company that serviced a Local authority. The subject of chipped bins was raised on several occaisions.

Chipped bins are usually used in the commercial waste field. The purpose is so that drivers can get an exact location on bins they have to collect. i.e. company address is usually in the main road but bin may be in rear access road.

The secondary reason, again for commercial, is that when the bin is tipped it is registered as tipped and the client charged accordingly ( less chance of "you've missed my collection" complaints especially when you know it's been done & they are trying it on.

Some councils are using chipped bins as a means for recovery if stolen, some to ensure crews are working correctly, some to monitor recycling take up. To my knowledge the idea of using it for charging domestic residents is not a function at the moment although in an attempt to drive up recycling figures it was proposed to limit the amount of general waste collected per house and charge excess on amounts over this limit.
Currently in chris m's garage:
2000 Scenic 2.0 16v Monaco, BMW 3 Series, Pug 206
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome