Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II 1.9Dci - Engines - Hesitation Cured after EGR cleaned

View Single Post
post #203 of (permalink) Old 8th July 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna II 1.9Dci - Engines - Hesitation Cured after EGR cleaned

Originally Posted by ppearson View Post
Hi just thought I'd share my recent experience that may save people time and money. I was being plagued with a loss of power/hesitation around 2300 rpm. I read around the subject and being a tight Yorkshireman became quite worried about how much a fix would cost. I therefore decided to do what I could to sort the issue before lining the pockets of a Renault dealer.
First the EGR valve, this was easily located and removed ( 3x 11mm bolts) It was found to be heavily soiled (black soot) I cleaned it using carburettor spray cleaner (5) and a soft tooth brush - total time 20mins
Secondly I located and removed the MAF unit, not much to look at here but under a bright light I could see evidence of tarnishing on the internal elements, a quick spray with carburettor cleaner and a clean with an soft pipe-cleaner and everything sparkled - total time 20mins.
I took the opportunity to replace the air filter (15 oe) which was fairly well clogged.
The result - after 2 weeks of hesitation and worrying about turbo failure etc, the car runs smoother than ever and all for 1hrs work and 20 expense. The mpg is back to 50mpg as it was when I first purchased the car
I now intend to change the oil and oil filter every 6k miles and clean the EGR at the same time all of which I think will prevent the dreaded turbo failure I have read so much about!
Hi, I know this post was some years ago, but I find myself in the same position regarding the EGR valve. I live quite a distance from a Renault dealer so I was wondering if you had to replace the EGR gasket when you cleaned yours?

Currently in ewing999's garage:
2003 Renault Laguna II 1.9dci 120bhp
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome