Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Laguna - Engines - Misfire

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Headache1 
#1 ·
First I had battery changed
Starter Motor went - replaced

Ticks over ok
Misfiring and backfiring on acceleration

Changed the crankshaft sensor which is the only thing that showed up on diag - No difference

Changed coil pack - No difference

Any help please :confused:

It was running fine before all this

#5 ·
I'd check for a good engine earth then,Headache 1.

They have a habit of corroding,and if disturbed,can cause all sorts of strange things to happen.Even a slight resistance can cause havoc....

Good Luck,and let us know how it goes.:)

#8 ·
My mechanic has seen my car and agrees the timing is out. He is hopefully picking her up later and taking her to his garage to have a look.

The car starts first turn of the key since having new starter motor.

She ticks over fine.

Put foot on accelerator and thats when the timing goes haywire and starts backfiring.

#9 ·
My mechanic has checked my car over and can't find anything wrong with it.

It starts first turn of the key and ticks over lovely. As soon as you put foot on accelerator it starts misfiring.

Checked the spark plugs - TDC sensor - compression - earth

He is completely baffled by it and has got a friend with a computer that will come over Thursday.

Please Please Please - any more suggestions?

#10 ·
Headache1 said:
My mechanic has checked my car over and can't find anything wrong with it.

It starts first turn of the key and ticks over lovely. As soon as you put foot on accelerator it starts misfiring.

Checked the spark plugs - TDC sensor - compression - earth

He is completely baffled by it and has got a friend with a computer that will come over Thursday.

Please Please Please - any more suggestions?
what about fuel starvation-have you changed the fuel filter or is the fuel pump on its way out, has the fuel tank accidentaly had a small amount of diesel put in, is there any vacum hoses around the engine come loose, have the coil packs been fitted correctly (firing order wrong) dampness anywhere? foot pedal potentiometer faulty? and this is a long shot but my diesel laguna sheared the locating lug of the timing belt pulley which caused poor engine running and i was lucky to find this before the pulley slipped round too much and caused some valve/head damage. i had to remove camshaft , position the pulley and drill and dowel through them for cheap repair

#11 ·
My regular mechanic has checked her over and can't find anything.

He says she starts first turn of key and idles perfectly.
As soon as you put foot on throttle the timing is out and no acceleration. It doesn't cut out it's lumpy and backfiring.

He has taken her to Dales Renault and they will put her on the computer next week. Problem is she is a 1995 and I understand that a lot of the faults don't show up.

When I rang Dales to tell them the symptons they said the ECU probably wants changing.

They said the same thing last year when I had key immobiliser problem. Result was leak through aerial into sensor cured by sealant.

I now have this fear that I am about to be ripped off. :steam:

The other guy came with his computer but didn't have the right software.
Last September some &(&(&*^ stabbed my petrol tank and stole my petrol. (At the time of the petrol shortage). Renault put a new tank on and would imagine they would have done the filter and pump then?
Quoted £500 of which I had to pay £100 as it was an insurance jobey.

#12 ·
Renault diagnosis £80
Carried out clip test - found TDC sensor fault
After further diagnostic checks found fly wheel
pickup misshaped causing interferance
through TDC sensor - requires new flywheel
pick up

Part £150+VAT plus Labour

One has to draw the line somewhere
So its off to the knackers yard

AND FORD here I come.

Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.