Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane Estate Boot Lock Fault

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 15th July 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Megane Estate Boot Lock Fault

I had a problem with my megane estate boot refusing to open when I pressing the boot release on the car and it only released when the engine was started. Slightly annoying to say the least!

Then shortly after this, the boot would not open up at all. I did notice that the before finally to refusing to work at all, the switch, when it did work, was very sensitive and by hardly touching the button the boot would release.

After complete failure I decided to take a look and try to work out the problem was and what parts I needed to fix it.

After removing 4 screws from the plastic panel cover the inside of the boot (torq screw head T15) I took the panel off and took a look at the boot catch and the boot switch. There are 2 wires that run from the boot switch and are joined to the vehicle wiring harness by a connector. By removing the connector and plugging it back in, the boot catch would release everytime I reconnected the connector. From this I knew the boot catch was ok, it was the switch that was the problem.

Taking the switch out using a screwdriver from the outside, then separating the two halves of the switch (which are clipped together),from inside a gold metal contact fell out as I opened it. It was this contact that had come away from it's correct position. It's job is to contact the silver and gold parts of the switch to make the electrical contact between them which opens the boot. I thought it had snapped off from somewhere and I would need another one but on closer inspection, none of the edges of the metal contact were rough or appeared to be broken.

After some patience I worked out it could fixed simply by snapping the electrical contact back into position inside the switch (it is just a tight fit that stops it from coming loose, nothing else). There was a slightly worn mark where the boot button contacts the gold part of the connector which helped to work out where inside the connector the gold connector had come from. When in the correct position, pressing the end of the gold connector makes it move up and down with an audiable 'click'. After that it was reassembly of all the parts taken off and it seems to work ok so far.

Hope that can help someone else, and might save you 20 on a switch which you might not need. There is literally nothing else in the switch other than a spring, a metal sliver contact on the switch itself and this gold coloured piece of metal which acted as the connector!

Cheers, Andy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andyh_45 For This Useful Post:
HeatherJ (16th July 2011), Twjnelson (15th August 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome