Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 1 - Cabrio Roof Clicking/Grinding*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 23rd July 2011 Thread Starter
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Megane 1 - Cabrio Roof Clicking/Grinding*FIXED*

Hi all,

I will start with the problem, when I was putting the roof down on my Megane (1) Cabriolet; it stopped just over half way and started making a clicking/grinding noise.
After stressing a little I managed to lower the roof enough for the rear compartment to unlock and rise a little but had to manually be opened to put the hood in so I could drive home.

The hydraulic fluid has been running a little under minimum for some time with the previous owner so thinking that was the problem I went to my local Renault dealer and bought HSHC Fluid to top it up.
This was soon discovered not to be the problem as topping up the tank made no difference.

After reading many many suggestions about the Megane Cabriolet roof not operating properly, the cause and symptoms did not apply to me so tried to figure it out on my own, I am quite confident in fixing problems but never worked with a Cabriolet roof before so would of liked a little knowledge before attempting it.

I though the best solution would be to find out where the clicking/grinding was coming from and found it to be the hood motor in the boot, I carefully took apart the motor and cleaned away the excess fluid and all seemed ok, no problems with the motor or the cam and both moved freely.
When I was just about to put it all together I noticed a small mark on the white plastic cog and on closer inspection it was found to be cracked causing the motor to spin inside the cog also grinding it away.

There you have it if your roof is moving slowly or not at all and you are getting a grinding clicking noise it is likely you have cracked the white cog that site between the motor and the reservoir tank and will need to be replaced

As these parts are hard to find (both local Renault dealers didn't have a clue) I managed to fix (bodge) it with hard setting bonding putty.
I completely embedded the putty into the cog, not forgetting to trim the excess off the top and bottom then before it hardens completly put it back on the motor to make the hole in the centre.
When I did this I also done the same with the cam pin, I placed it into one of the filled grooves to make a hole in that also.
When this hardened it was as strong if not stronger than before and when it was all attached back together worked like a dream with no more clicking or grinding.
Like I say this was only a bodge but will defiantly suffice until I acquire a new one.

I wrote this in the hope it will help someone with the same or a similar problem.
Currently in mark713's garage:
2004 1.4 16v Megane Expression - 1999 1.6 8v Megane e Cabriolet
  5 Lastest Threads by mark713
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
1.6 8 Valve K7M Valve Clearence Settings Engines mickeybo 6 6181 27th April 2012 01:57 PM
Megane 1 pre-facelift to facelift Bodywork mark713 0 712 20th April 2012 07:27 PM
Aftermarket Alarm (Toad Ai606) Central Locking Electronics mark713 1 1726 29th July 2011 02:25 PM
Renault Megane 1 - Cabrio Roof... Megane hoochy 4 5176 23rd July 2011 06:58 PM
Custom Radio Dash Display Electronics mark713 2 1543 16th July 2011 09:46 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome