Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 2 - F4R Engine Rattle*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 26th July 2011 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Scenic 2 - F4R Engine Rattle*FIXED*

Hi everyone;

I have 2004 Grand Scenic with a 2.0 Petrol (F4R-770) engine. My understanding is this has the VVT System with dephaser pulley on the inlet cam. Problem is I have the following symptoms;
- Engine cold (first 5-10 minutes), no problem
- Engine hot, there is a diesel like rattle from the top of the engine
- Engine hot, it is slightly awkward to pull away from a standing start, it needs a few more rev's than I think is normal

This forum has been very very handy to research my problem and it quickly led me to diagnose a failing dephaser pulley, BUT the local dealer thinks the problem is failing tappets. I've downloaded the Renault manuals and looked at the cam/rocker/hydraulic adjustment system and she's pretty simple, could it really be at fault? The dealer changed the oil and added a cleaning agent in the hope that it will help the tappets, but it didn't.

So I need to make a judgement call;
- Tell them to change the pulley, that'll annoy them a little I guess
- Take their advice and remove/replace/inspect the valve gear
Seem like it will be double the price to screw with all the valve gear and I have convinced myself the pulley is at fault. Any feedback or opinion is appreciated.

Just for the record, I don't think the dealer is a playing any tricks, I just don't think he's struck this pulley problem before. If that is possible?

Meantime special thanks to all for a great forum, it's helped me fix a few other problems and to be honest, it's just a great read to see what others are up to!

Currently in benjanos's garage:
'04 Grand Scenic
  5 Lastest Threads by benjanos
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
New Grand Scenic, any good? General Chat Dinnie 3 1033 27th February 2013 07:11 PM
Wheel swap G.Scenic '04 to G.Scenic '10?? Wheels & tyres bigiainw 4 942 5th January 2013 08:39 AM
Renault Scenic 2 - F4R Engine Rattle*FIXED* Scenic Emernins 11 19507 26th July 2011 07:53 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome