Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Need some info please

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 6th September 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
The spec keeps changing from year to year too.

For example, my 95 2.0 Phase 1 RXE had steel wheels, no air-con and only electric front windows. My 98 Phase 2 RXE had alloys, a spoiler, electric windows all around, passenger airbag and climate control. I think all of the Lagunas had ABS and a driver's airbag from day one.

Climate/standard air-con seemed to flit in and out and up and down in the range more or less at random. Don't be surprised if you find an older car with climate and a newer one supposedly of the same spec with standard a/c.

Renault are one of the few manufacturers to still give you a tilt & slide sunroof with air-con (most seem to make you either choose or pay extra.) This was also true of the L2 range up until a couple of years ago, though now only the higher spec models have a sunroof as standard. Ironically, the phase 1 had a slightly better trip computer than the phase 2, though in both cases it was only fitted to the RXE and upwards. The L1's trip computer wipes the floor with the crappy one that's fitted as standard on all L2's. I vaguely recall reading in the manual that the fuel consumption related functions of the trip computer don't work on the diesels (which kind of defeats the object if you ask me.)

I believe there was also an 'Executive' spec at one point, which (I think) slotted in between the RXE and the Monaco. If memory serves me correctly, the Monaco had full leather and sat-nav.

The 2.0 16v engine is the one to go for if you have a choice. For some bizarre reason, they never offered it in the RXE hatch, only the estate, but if you're lucky you'll find it in the Exec or Monaco. If your luck doesn't stretch that far and you'd prefer power and are prepared to sacrifice a few toys, then the RTi might be of interest.

Then there's always the V6, but you might want to buy shares in BP if you're going to go for that.

As Lagdti says, the non- turbo diesels are milk-float slow. Even if you don't consider yourself a boy racer, you will still find them painful. Avoid at all costs!

Edit: I should add that the boot is pretty cavernous on both the hatch and the estate. In fact, we parked two side by side and proved that if you don't load past the window line, the hatch is just as big as the estate! I was never a big fan of the estate shape - if they'd just designed proper rear doors for it, it'd have looked a whole lot better. Personally, I'd go for the hatch unless you're likely to be shifting furniture around a lot.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 6th September 2006 at 07:28 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome