Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - bodywork warranty

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 29th July 2011
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Re: bodywork warranty

Hi there and welcome.

TBH this is by no means an isolated occurence, when I worked as a customer services manager for Ford, I remember seeing dealerships performing complete resprays on cars which had spent months in Vehicle Holding Compounds covered in bird droppings. Then, when I started working for myself - being requested by a garage to repaint a damaged door handle on a brand-new car, being collected by the customer the following day. So it does happen.

Cold comfort to you, as you are left 'holding the baby', so to speak.

Repairs can be allowed on a 'new' car (by the manufacturer or his representative), and the repair should carry the remainder of the warranty.

I would definitely contact Renault Customer Services , for the following reasons;
  1. you are most concerned about the repair standard carried out on your car & how this will develop over time
  2. there may be a history of such defective repairs performed by this 'extinct' garage
I would presume (since the car has a full service history) that the annual inspections have been carried out & nothing noted, until you spotted the rust? This must mean that Renault's stance will be that the repair has occured in the intervening period since the last service.

I would ask RCS if you could comission an independent inspection of the paint & rust damage to determine how long the corrosion has been present - as long as that gives a date early into the car's life, it should mean that the repair was done outside your knowledge, or the annual inspections have not been performed with any more care than a cursory glance.

I would also contact your local Trading Standards Office - again, there may be a history of dodgy repairs. Its all about gathering evidence to add to your claim - the more evidence you gather - the less you may have to pay.

Also consider contacting Which? & What Car? magazine, as sometimes even just their presence can add significant pressure for a manufacturer to capitulate.

HTH and please keep us posted.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome