Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 1 - Intermittant Starting Problems

View Single Post
post #50 of (permalink) Old 29th July 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Megane 1 - Intermittant Starting Problems

Wondering if anyone can help as I have absolutely no idea where to turn next. I purchased my 52 reg megane cabriolet in feb and adopted a slight electrical fault (hazards came on with heavy braking) which was rare and only flared up if it was raining. then it developed to the alarm occasionally sounding when i used my indicators in the rain. but all has been fine for a few months.
However about a month ago i started having issues starting the car. when my dad plugged it into his computer it couldnt read any data codes as it was coming up with the immobiliser still being on. so initially i could get the car started by siting for 10-15minutes locking and unlocking my car until i could get the immobiliser to deactivate and start. the problem has got a lot more frequant and as a result the past 10 days ive only been able to start it 3-4 times (i now i need petrol but im too scared to go to a petrol station incase i get stuck). But a week ago my dad was able to get the car to start without having to sit locking and unlocking by jiggling the key when it was in the ignition. but the last two days its not been starting at all and im having big problems with my alarm. In that every time i lock or unlock the car the alarm chirps away at me (only used to do it if a door wasnt shut properly) and you get a beeping from under the bonnet. it's also been chirping away at random times throughout today. I managed to get it to start this evening so after a quick run down the motorway its stopped randomly chirpping. But I'm at a complete loss. My dad seems to think its the ignition barrel (he thinks its wear as the cars done nearly 110,000 miles) and an electrical fault, but do you think it could be this TDC ? I'm going to get my dad to clean it tomorrow see if that helps so i can aliminate it or do you think its purely an electrical fault? Cause i can deal with the alarm so long as i can actually get to work. Sorry this seems so long winded but i just don't know what the main problem is.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome