Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - espace mk3 or mk4?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 2nd August 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: espace mk3 or mk4?

I'd say the Mark 3 actually has a worse reputation than the Mark 4? But I know exactly what you're saying about turbos. As a result, I'd avoid the 2.2 like the plague. It's not even a nice engine when it works, and is well known for returning 28 MPG if it's upset.

The 1.9 has a slightly better reputation, but I'd be going for the 3.0 dCi V6 Auto. Probably the most reliable diesel engine in the Espace range, and capable of up to 45 MPG on a motorway run. My Vel Satis had this engine and sure enough returned 44 MPG on the trip from Stranraer to Birmingham. It's sits at about 33-35 with town driving.

Also a 3.5 V6 Petrol with an LPG conversion should be considered if you came across one. A rock solid engine, and will propel your Espace to 60 in 8 seconds

As for the key cards, if you look after them they should be trouble free. They're fragile things... people drop them, sit on them and then wonder why they break.
Currently in MéganeDynamique's garage:
Avantime 3.0 V6 24v Privilège Auto, Vel Satis 3.0 dV6 Initiale, Vel Satis 2.2 dCi Auto Privilège, Laguna II 3.0 V6 24v Dynamique, Mégane II 2.0 VVT Dynamique, Mégane 1.6 Auto Privilège+ Convertible, Clio 1.9 RT-D
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome