Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Mk 2 - Not running properly

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 5th August 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Clio - Mk 2 - Not running properly

Originally Posted by CliffC View Post
Another important job to do before putting everything back is to clean any corrosion off the cylinder head, if you do not then the chances are that the manifold will not sit snug and you will get air leaks. Its always good to replace the four gasket rubbers if they are worn, but to be honest, if you clean the head up like I have, you will not need to replace them. I have never had a problem using the old gaskets again.

Can I say a big thank you for your highly detailed post. I've just completed cleaning my throttle body out as I'd been getting some annoying rough idling and hesitancy when driving during warm-up and following your post I've been able to cure the problem (fingers crossed).

I do have a couple of questions based on the above photos. How exactly did you clean the corrosion off the cylinder head, what materials tools did you use and did you block the port openings to prevent rust/dust entering the cylinder head?

As I was unsure as to how you got yours so clean I only just cleaned around my ports with carb cleaner as I knew that's where the gaskets were going to seal against and I was hesitant that if I started to sand it all down to clean it all I'd get bits entering the cylinder head. The seal appears to be good but I would have liked to have got it like you did.

Also, slightly off topic, in the photo there's the brown connector for the knock sensor. How does this come off? I had a go at pulling it off but it wouldn't budge so is there a technique to releasing it? I know it's not required for getting access to the throttle body but I'd like to know now how to dis-connect it.

Currently in Aturnb's garage:
2003 Clio MkII 1.2 D4F engine.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome