Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - TDC Sensor Replacement (with pictures!)

View Single Post
post #242 of (permalink) Old 8th August 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: TDC Sensor Replacement (with pictures!)

Have a 2003 Renault Scenic Mk2 (2003 - 2009 model).

Symptoms: Sometimes, maybe once every week or 2 weeks when trying to start the car the starter would just turn over the engine but it would not start. Nearly as if there is some electrical fault and it causes no spark and the engine just never starts. In some instances it would then just fire up on the second attempt. In worst cases it would 9 to 10 times. This would involve locking and unlocking the car opening and closing doors etc. etc. and trying again.... It has turned into some ritual since we were convinced it is some immobiliser thing that causes the engine not to fire.

In any case I read on the forums here and was led to believe it is the TDC sensor.

So my experience in case it helps someone else...

The TDC sensor is in exactly the same place on the newer model Scenics as the pictures in this thread, even if the layout is slightly different.
In the MkII the battery and battery compartment is on the side where the TDC sensor is located. But just look above the gearbox bell "cover" on the engine block just underneath the water pipes. It looks exactly the same as in the pictures here, even though this is for the previous model.
I managed to remove and clean without having to remove anything thanks to the pictures and knowing what I was dealing with. I didnt replace the sensor. Just cleaned it thoroughly wih a nail-brush.

It is now 3 days later and its been fine BUT the starting problem was very intermittent... maybe once every week or 2 weeks so the jury is still out... I will update in a few weeks time.

A big thanks to the guys in the forum for all the help...
Currently in faniemeiring's garage:
Renault Megame Scenic II 2003 & Ford Fiesta
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome