Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Turbo Diesel Engine Problems

View Single Post
post #56 of (permalink) Old 8th September 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Originally Posted by rudey
i personally think 0-40 is too thin, i used fully synthetic 0-40 and will be using 10-40 fully synthetic next time
Sounds like I need to explain about oils a little bit again. The 1st number with the 'w' following it is the cold thickness (viscocity) The second number is the oils viscosity when hot ie 100degrees) So when the engine is running the 0w-40 and 10w-40 are the same thickness; they are both 40 weight oils in old money. What is different is that when cold and everything is thicker the 0w will flow many times faster than the 10w (to the bearings) This is the time of maximum wear, the 'thinner' oil will let the starter motor have a better life and the battery the engine will spin up quicker and start faster with full pressure lubrication especially to the turbo bearings. The other big difference that is rarely mentioned is that generally the lower the numbers the higher quality the oil , you cannot get a poor 0w-30! but you can a 10w-40. A modern 0w-30 is likely to be many times stronger than a dino 20-50!
Additional benifits are :- more power, more mpg, lower pumping losses (its thinner) which all means that the engine can run cooler. The insides of the engine remain cleaner so less contaminates are around to gunge things up. A top synthetic will do the service milage and in the case of AMSOIL and some. They also have filters that are much more effective than you are all used to.
This all adds up to a package that will save you trouble and money.
If someone could kindly tell me, an oil dealer, what a semi synthetic is it would be appreciated. If I can't work it out the chances are that you wont so why risk using something of an unknown quantity / quality into what is likely to be the 2nd largest investment you make. Sure Amsoil is not the cheapest nor is it the most expensive, but it will protect your investment and save you money very quickly.
And you can get a club discount on it !
Currently in amsoil's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome