Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Plastic bumper colour doesnt match metal bodywork colour.

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 20th August 2011 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Plastic bumper colour doesnt match metal bodywork colour.

I have received a response from where it was purchased,.. to sum up its something like:
dealer person:"Ive looked at a lot of the meganes here and they all have the same effect,its to do with the change of body panel angle".

me thinks to myself: That isnt the whole story,
a.There is a certain element of truth to that . like on my car at the front wheelwell join the plastic part is very slightly buckled ,so it aggravates the mismatch.
b.There is in mho a mismatch between the colours at any point in the plastic and its adjacent metal panel even accounting for light bouncing at different angles.
c. the finish: the metal panel finish allover is very slightly "lumpy". Im sure youve all seen that before. the plastic panels are totally smooth to the eye no matter what way you look at them.
d. due to temperature variations on application, temp variations on curing/baking time and the what I would call the "its close enough" paint finish inspection check,the actual layout of the metallic particles may reflect the light in a different way

e. The panel join at the front wheelwell ,its unfortunately like at 45 degrees ,say the 2 oclock position on the wheelarch.. If it was at say 90 a join where a "traditional "plastic bumper meets the metal bodyeork it would be much less noticeable.

This may sound a bit ****..and Ive even seen the effect on mercs viewed at the right angle.

The thing is on mine you really have to work on your viewing angle NOT to see the effect..
My previous car ,if cleaned and polished really had the "hewn out of a single lump of metal" look.

from dealer Ive recieved a response "let our service dude have a look at it".. this will of course enf up with the,"its plastic v metal, different panel angles. etc"

It is fixable .. ive seen similar colours with no variation.Ill just have to ensure that if I do get plastic resprays that renault wont invalidate any paint warranty as Im fairly sure it would be a non runner"more than my jobs worth" under warranty for a dealer fix.
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome