Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - grand scenic 2005 dealer problems advice needed

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 9th September 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
The big question is: Has replacing the tyre cured the fault? If it has, then I can understand why they're a bit peeved, but when all's said and done, it was up to them to diagnose the problem, and if they've replaced unnecessary parts under warranty then that's their hard luck. If it had happened immediately after changing the tyre, then no doubt you'd have gone straight to the tyre fitter rather than to Renault. I think it's perfectly understandable for you not to have mentioned the new tyre when it had been running without problems for quite some time.

Out of curiosity, do you by any chance have pressure sensing valves? I've known the pressure sensing module to become detached from the rear of the valve, seriously throwing out the wheel balance. Re-balancing doesn't help because the module will drop to the bottom of the tyre every time the wheel comes to a stop, and then be pinned in place by centripetal force once the wheel starts spinning again.

If you suspect the dealer of being sneaky, then they may have identified this fault, repared it and blamed the tyre (look at the valve stem - does it look newer or cleaner than the rest?) If the problem still persists, then maybe they're still scratching their heads and you still have a broken valve.

The quickest way to identify whether it's a wheel/tyre problem or something else is to swap each of the front wheels out in turn for the spare, and try driving the car. If you don't have a spare (I believe some Scenics don't) then you could swap the front wheels over with the rears and see if that makes a difference. If a wheel is warped or a tyre is damaged, you might still notice the vibration on the car, but you won't feel it through the steering as you would with the fault on the front.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome