Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault 19 16v electrics/fuel pump problem

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10th September 2006 Thread Starter
The Ships Cat
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault 19 16v electrics/fuel pump problem

Hi All,
I am trying to find some help with a problem on my Renault 19 16valve with multipoint injection . the problem is it cuts out after a few miles . If I leave it for about 5 minutes it will start ok. Have replace fuel filter and checked electrics today. I am unable to find the location of the fuel pump ballast resistor Haynes page wd5 item 61 and the ballast relay Haynes page wd5 item10. Any help with the location of these items would be appreciated.
When I tried it today I attatched a volt meter to monitor the voltage at pin 5 of the fuel pump relay. this indicated the same as battery voltage when running. During the test the fault appeared , engine died . I checked the voltage on meter monitering pin 5 and the voltage was correct , the engine turned over but would not fire , I removed a plug and it was dry . I then removed the fuel feed pipe to the injector rail, trying to start no fuel , I also noted that there did not appear to be a noise from the fuel pump. Having left the car for about 5 minutes I returned and tried it. When the key was in the second position I heard the fuel pump run and the car started ok. When the fault is not on the engine runs and sounds very good. The car has an immobiliser fitted but that only cuts the supply to the starter not the fuel pump.
Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.
If I have to change the fuel pump how easy is it to get to ?, The model is the executive with the skirts underneath so clearance is tight
Currently in The Ships Cat's garage:
Skoda Octavia vRS and sometimes a Renault 19 P2 16v Exec
  5 Lastest Threads by The Ships Cat
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault 19 wheel bearings Tools & equipment The Ships Cat 3 2538 16th June 2009 08:01 AM
Usefull device for Diesel owners Cars & motoring dave_mezza2006 39 5083 20th October 2008 07:15 PM
Talking Dog For Sale Jokes & funny stuff martin999 3 1141 18th October 2008 10:47 PM
AVG bin file missing Computer Club Tiggerz_SRi 3 1039 17th August 2008 07:39 AM
Ebay Advice Please General Chat The Ships Cat 7 1485 27th June 2008 07:28 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome