Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic - has my petrol tank warped?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 26th August 2011 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Scenic - has my petrol tank warped?

Hello, I have just filled my X reg scenic up with petrol (I normally only fill 1/2 way) and suddenly I had petrol gushing all underneath the car.

It turns out that it was the seal around the petrol pump sender unit, the locking ring had broken.
I have been smelling petrol when I fill up recently.

Anyway, nipped to the local dealers to get a new locking ring & seal kit (34 for a plastic ring!) and they guys there were telling me that it is most likely that because the tank was full the weight of it can/has made the tank warp so that the threaded hole the sender unit goes into is oval instead of round.

I have tried and cannot get the locking ring back on, it keeps cross threading. I have emptied as much petrol out as I can (everything I eat/drink now tastes of petrol - lol).

Given that it is a plastic tank not metal - is this actually likely?

Will it be beyond fettling and replacement tank (scrap yard) time or can it be salvaged?
Currently in mattius's garage:
Yay! NO longer burdened by a renault. Pity - seats were comfy.
  5 Lastest Threads by mattius
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
EEK! new scenic - how do I drive this thing? Cars & motoring mattius 4 1246 30th April 2012 07:44 PM
Malwarebytes blocks the site? Feedback & Announcements YOY 17 3208 2nd January 2012 11:52 AM
Changing Scenic odomoter display? Electronics Mikeyjp 3 945 15th October 2011 09:12 PM
Scenic - has my petrol tank warped? Cars & motoring mattius 30 6225 26th August 2011 07:07 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome