Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - mk2 - colour coded trim help needed

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10th September 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to GeordieClio
Yes it can be done, and it can be done at home using spray cans.

I will be doing this colour coding to my clio in the next month, if all goes well i'll make a how to.

But if you want to try now i would suggest using a scotchbrite pad to give the plasic trim a key (for the paint to stick onto) and use a plastic primer. Try to get a coloured primer to match the colour of your car, you wont need ad much paint this way.

Spray the trims with the primer and allow to dry then spray again, you may want to sand it down with 1500 wet and dry paper to get rid of any high spots, if needs be spray with primer again and smooth down with 1500 wet and dry.

Once your happy the surface is all smooth, no high or low spots, spray the colour on! Im not sure how many layers you will need but i would say 3 or 4 will be enough for the colour.

Once this is done sand it down with the 1500 wet and dry paper to get rid of the "Orange peel" effect, then your ready to spray your clear coat.

I wouldnt use any kind of abrasive polish or T cut type compounds for a couple of weeks, as the paint wont be fully hardened yet!

Sorry for the rough guide but it should be enough to get you started.

Full Time Motor Vehicle Technician - Part Time Idiot.
Currently in GeordieClio's garage:
like a boy racer because hes young and has a modified car...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome