View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 7th September 2011
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Surface Scuffs

an update:
The genuine renault "touch up paint" eventually arrived , and its like nothing ive seen before.Altho very interesting.
I cant link/ post a pic of the actual copyrighted information sheet that came with it but its mainly diagrams anyway.
It looks great and would seem to be ideal for anything but very large "scuffs".
2 pot kit and yeh it is water based or at least the base coat is.
roughly it goes like this.
a.Wash yer "scuffs/scratches" and rinse to make sure theyre totally clean.

b.apply your paint leaving it proud of the surface,like a little tiny rivet head if its just a spot,("stone chip").
If its a scratch/scuff you will just have to extend the raised profile along the length of the scratch.

If its a very wide scratch,I dunno youll just have to experiment a little,perhaps apply 2 base coats.

c. then comes the cool bit. mho
Wait 10 min for the base coat to dry( I suppose this will vary like 7-12 min depending on oat,humidity) etc but theres just a picture of a clock indicating 10 min.
Then u soak the cap of the base coat pot with water,its like a miniature pin cushion,.Then u use this to "sand" the base coat flat with the surrounding paint..
Then u rinse out the cloth head of the base coat pot to make sure there is no paint residue in it.Perhaps u will ahve to do this often .Maybe just do one area first then make sure everything is kept clean and go on and do the lacquer coat ,

d. wait a further 10 min then apply the "lacquer coat".You can also leave this a bit proud of the surface,well u cant really avoid it if the surface u apply it to is totally flat..

e.wait 20 min,then the lacquer will be dry enough to drive away..without picking up insects n dust/getting damaged by rain I assume?

f.Then u wait 48 hrs and apres that u polish the repaired area to remove the lacquer "lump".The picture shows the lacquer "lump" substantially ruduced after polishing but not totally flush with the surrounding bodywork.
Hopefully It would be virtually unnoticeable unless u ran your finger over it.
I cant wait to try it out as soon as I get enough time, on the couple of chips I have already.

Maybe I will revise my opinion of water based paint.

A>If the scratch/scuff is extensive/wide ,I doubt u would get an "invisible " repair without a respray.
Vel/Paul would know for sure.
B.On plastic parts,if the damage goes thru the primer,who cares , even if the fix isnt invisible it wont rust .Metal bodywork scratches if they are thru to the metal its like a disease..
Mr steel is just waiting for a tiny exposure to the open air and then woohoo party time for rust .This is on my last 10 year + car .
Its just when u think the damage is only down to the primer and u repaint ,a year or so later.yeh varicose veins and underneath that the rust area will be 5 times larger.
Once again Vel/Paul could advise but I suppose anything over 5-7 years you would expect "sheet happens".

Course then there are things like "what were u thinkin dood" such as an aston martin db5 (goldfinger, ejector seat car).
Aluminium/alloy body panels and a steel chassis, the contact between the alumininium and steel, they used felt washers to prevent different metal to metal contact and subsequent corrosion, but what did these washers do.. yeh they soaked up water like a sponge and so accelerated corrosion on both metals

back on topic..
I do have a few other numbers that came with the paint pots aside from renault TE HNK (stone UK)(ash grey IRL) beige cedre in general.if people cant get an exact colour from accessory shops.
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome