Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Plastic bumper colour doesnt match metal bodywork colour.

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 7th September 2011 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Plastic bumper colour doesnt match metal bodywork colour.

1.Just received the genuine renault paint touch up kit.
The base coat is water based acrylic,not sure about the lacquer.

Opinions on the possibilities of eliminating the "join" between the metal and plastic bodywork..

The join between the metal and plastic bodywork at the front is reasonably firm,even if not very close or totally in line.

I could of course right now fill the gap with a rigid/semi rigid "filler" up to maybe 1 mm below the surface of both panels,perhaps less.
One of the problems is the curvature of the panel edges:

ie at a depth of 1mm the panel gap might also be 1mm , but at the surface it could vary up to 2 mm perhaps..

Using the water based renault touch up paint and a suitable filler,does anyone think I could create a seamless join between the 2 panels?
1. 3 different materials .go out in the sun and the different expansion rates will cause the surface lacquer to crack.
2.Any diy attempted blending will jst cause things to look .. horrible.
3. Leaving aside the car manufacturers plastic panel join filler strips.
I dont want to try and link anything , but its like a t shape x section plastic strip with the main body of the T between the panels and the 2 "arms" of the T being below the panel surfaces..That would leave 2 line gaps to be filled instead of 1.You know the after a respray ,its leading edge will no longer be black but it will be panel.then a line of paint .01mm wide then the next panel.
What about a T section plastic panel join filler with the 2 arms of the t on the outside?..

Like you would then also have 2 edges,one along each panel for a single panel join, not good..but could it be blended enough to give a visual improvement?.

You could say.. hey go buy a black car, then all the gaps wouldnt be noticed,I dont like black cars.

Other option would be to adjust the panels themselves to get the closest fit possible..anything with a 3rd painted component might look.."to infinity crap look and beyond".

any opinions?.
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome