Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Moaning Drive Shafts Megane DTI Phase 1?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12th September 2006 Thread Starter
1998 Megane Dti
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Moaning Drive Shafts Megane DTI Phase 1?

My problem is that I think I have a moaning drive shaft. I assumed at first that it was the longer RHS (drivers) but I am no longer sure. What leads me to believe it is the shorter LHS is the damaged gaiter on the inner CV joint. The car made excessive metallic crunching noises along with a lot of vibration and noise over the last two days but it has now stopped! In addition, for a few weeks before this it sounded as if the near side front-wheel bearing was moaning. What do I do? Should I replace the LHS drive shaft? Was the moaning noise only the wheel bearing, both, or neither? Need some handy ways to find out what drive shaft needs replaced, as it will probably take me a good part of the weekend to put right…
And now a bit of history if it will help…
I have owned my 1998 Megane Phase 1 1.9 Dti (F9Q engine) for three years now and it has covered a total of 107,500. 51,000 of these have been covered by myself and in that time I have replaced 3 gearboxes, fitted a turbo charger, which included flushing out the intercooler, the alarm module, a key, and the usual consumables. I have found this car good fun to drive and the reason for the above is probably due to the TD Performance chip that is fitted, gives an excellent boost in power 30% I reckon and better torque.
Currently in 1998 Megane Dti's garage:
1998 Megane RT DTi Sport
  5 Lastest Threads by 1998 Megane Dti
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Moaning Drive Shafts Megane DTI Phase 1? Cars & motoring Lagdti 3 1163 12th September 2006 03:26 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome