Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hi peeps, been offerd RX4, price? look for?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 17th September 2011
Anthony Smith
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Hi peeps, been offerd RX4, price? look for?

I am very pleased with the one I've got, but so far it's only done 41000 and is has a very easy life. The bearings on the prop shaft seem to be a problem, but I wonder if this is due to the rubber coupling when 'play' comes into it, then does the play in the prop shaft bearing play cause the gearbox problems?
Also if the gearbox looses oil out of the seal on the passenger side drive shaft oil seal probably wont help it either.
I think the prop shaft bearing show with rumbling noise and vibration, but I've not had it yet.
Dave Mac propshafts can fix you up with a new on, they also put them on Ebay aswell, also the rubber coupling is avaiable off Ebay from Dave Mac propshafts.
As any modern car seems to be, the RX4 is good when it's right, but when they go wrong they're expensive.
All I can say is, so far I'm very pleased with mine, but if it needs anything, no matter how small, it has it, a few months ago I changed the gearbox oil and diff oil for new fully synthetic oils as a precaution. I also changed the rubber coupling, again as a precaution, they're easy enough to do.
Engine wise, I think the F4R is a pretty good engine, I think the main worry is the VVT dephaser on the inlet cam packing up. It causes very rough running and lack of low down power, but this is not unique to the RX4, but any Renault with the F4R engine.
We could do with someone putting their horror stories on about the one they owned.
Currently in Anthony Smith's garage:
2002 Renault Megane Scenic RX4 2.0 16V

Last edited by Anthony Smith; 17th September 2011 at 01:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Smith For This Useful Post:
General-Monty (18th September 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome