Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - HELP - Service history

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 13th September 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Have you checked to make sure this is not a ringer? My Citroen was and the criminals had obtained the chassis number and details of a similar car from Germany then cloned it and re-registered it as a new import. DVLA accepted it and I should have too, but decided to call in the police instead. They too said it was okay but I insisted it wasn't so further forensics revealed the true identity and I then lost the car. It would have paid me better to accept the first verdict and sell the car but I didn't believe in passing on my problems to some innocent buyer. There you go though.... crime pays and honesty loses the dosh.

Check it thoroughly if you want to find out and contact the seller to make sure he is not a drifter. The on-board computer should give you definite clues as to the identity (unless it has also been changed from a write-off and put into a stolen vehicle).

I cannot trace my vendors now because they move location on a regular basis although I did manage to get them arrested (in Stratford-on-Avon); they simply told the police they had bought the car in good faith from tinkers and didn't know where these were now. The police accepted the story because they said they hadn't the resources to continue investigating. They didn't even bother to search for them after I told them the Mercedes the woman was driving was also a ringer and a clone of a car from the Isle of Wight. Who cares anyway? No tax or insurance so they are quite impervious and unidentifiable... woe betide anyone who gets run-over by one of these.

My advice is to check and double check and if in doubt demand your money back from your vendor if you can find him.
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome