Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Buy Grand Espace 3.5

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 23rd September 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Buy Grand Espace 3.5

I like to see people still hankering after gas guzzlers - means I'm not the only one!

Being a big Vel Satis fan, I've heard plenty about this engine. Owners literally do not have a bad word to say about it, and I haven't actually heard of a single problem. The noise is incredible, the power is amazing and being a chain driven engine, there's no expensive timing belt change ever required. When in "Initiale" trim, the Espace is every bit the luxury MPV as well. I wouldn't worry about it looking mumsy either, especially when there's a 3.5 V6 badge on the door trim

One thing I have to disagree on is buying a post 2006 car. The cut off point for higher emissions road tax was March 2006, meaning the 3.5 Espace will cost £445 to tax per year. However, if you were to buy an 05 car, the annual bill will be £260. Far too much of a difference to ignore, which you will be very thankful for in the long run.

It's definitely the engine of choice with the Espace though. Like yourself, I don't car about fuel consumption (hence all my Renaults are petrol) and I'm glad I don't because Renault's dCi engines just seem to be ticking time bombs, so the 1.9 and 2.2 dCi are ruled out for me right away. The 2.0 T Petrol also has a turbo -eating reputation. The 3.0 dCi V6 is an Isuzu unit also put in the Vel Satis. It's a great engine, but not as rock solid as the 3.5 V6.

So... a 55 Plate 3.5 V6 Initiale and you have yourself a mighty fine car. Forget the Toyota :loser:
Currently in MéganeDynamique's garage:
Avantime 3.0 V6 24v Privilège Auto, Vel Satis 3.0 dV6 Initiale, Vel Satis 2.2 dCi Auto Privilège, Laguna II 3.0 V6 24v Dynamique, Mégane II 2.0 VVT Dynamique, Mégane 1.6 Auto Privilège+ Convertible, Clio 1.9 RT-D
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome