Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Any idea on the parts needed for this?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 25th September 2011
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Any idea on the parts needed for this?

Though I can't claim anything like Vel's experience, I would respectfully disagree. It'd be a good idea to at least have a professional take a look at it, see what they quote, etc.

I've had experience on both sides of the coin, and it's pretty hard to tell. Plus it can be a right pain to get things to fit and clip on properly if you haven't the right tools.

Previous Astra, kept bumping into stupid 18-inch high wooden posts delineating a temporary car park at work (can't see them from inside the car when you get close!) and eventually skidded on the gravel and put one right through the plastic and smashed it beyond what I could permanently repair with superglue and duct tape. Got a cheap unpainted replacement, some sandpaper and rattlecans of primer and paint, masked it off, sprayed it up nicely over a couple days in the garage at home. Fitting was a mare, and not all the cables and pipes ended up quite where they should (several of them running behind the radiator grille) because I couldn't get 'em to fit behind the bumper for some reason... lots of very fragile, soft clips too, which it proved rather easy to break either when removing from the old bumper and fitting to the new one, and of course they're not easy to get hold of. Didn't look entirely straight once fitted, only because of how I fitted it rather than any underlying damage (if the posts had hit an actual mount point, it probably wouldn't have smashed), but it made a reasonably good impression, colour matched well, and it did the job it needed to, through at least one MOT, until the car was run into...

Megane, hit at the front and now the rear quite forcefully... both times the bumpers and lights have survived just fine, just with small cracks if anything, in terms of trim I lost one "Sport" badge. The wings are dented beyond any possible repair, but are holding together and staying in place. However at the back there's definite underlying damage to parts of the chassis, and I can't rule out the knackered gearbox and engine mounts being something to do with the earlier front-end bump.

Without having it checked over, it's difficult to tell.
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome