Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Can I get through the MOT like this?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th September 2011 Thread Starter
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Can I get through the MOT like this?

I don't know much about what is and isn't a fail, but the damage isn't likely to be repairable - and certainly, not economically so - ergo I need a touch of guidance in case I need to start looking for replacements ASAP.

Most of the car's in a good shape, I figured it was going to squeak it (except maybe brake efficiency, but they only start to rumble and fade from high motorway speeds so hopefully ok), and I could then run it til the new year and replace it after christmas. But then someone ran into it from behind, didn't they, and banged up the rear left corner (why did he have to swerve? smacking my bum straight-on would have done relatively little harm).

Had to take the mudguard off to let the wheel turn, took the arch liner out as well just-in case. Have managed to straighten the bumper up a little but it and the rear left wing are still obviously damaged - bumper cracked and misshapen, wing with dents and folds.

Boot floor has bowed up slightly at the left and there's a bit of a fold in the metal near the slam panel. Probably won't ever be able to get the lightbulb cover off again. Tailgate doesn't shut and lock without being slammed, and it stands proud at the left side, with a noticable gap in the rubber seal when you look at it from the side, which I think may be letting a little bit of fumes in, so I will see if I can find some way of re-sealing it. Rear left passenger door has to be slammed slightly to shut, scraping on the way, and wedged solid first time until I kicked it back open and covered the mating faces with WD40.

However, apart from the door scrape, all metal damage is noticably behind the rear wheel and it doesn't seem to have been displaced itself. Car still drives and handles just fine. Without the plastic trims, the tyre has a good centimetre of clearance from the bumper and frame which is maintained even when bouncing the suspension forcefully.

On top of this, the rearmost exhaust silencer hanger has snapped (pretty rusty and horrid anyway) and the tailpipe is resting against the underside of the bumper - which is the cause and which the effect, I'm not sure. And the underseal in the wheelarch has split, seemingly over a weld seam in the metalwork, though the latter appears to still be solid. Trying to bang the wing/frame backwards with a clawhammer and random block of wood doesn't seem to have had any effect, which is probably a good sign?

I will have to double check, but think the MOT is up the first couple weeks of November. Should I be looking for a new ride and investigating whether a scrapyard or the insurers' salvage agents would give me a better price straightaway, or is there a chance I can stretch it out til the new year? Having just had a new alternator and custom-order water rail put on (like, a week ago!) at 280 I'd like to get 3 months use rather than 1, if at all possible.

If there's a chance it'll pass, I will of course book it in for the earliest possible date so I have a grace period should it fail. If it's almost certainly doomed, I won't even bother booking a test and will maybe SORN it last week of October before scrapping to get as much of the remaining tax & insurance back as possible.
(Hey, anyone want a doomed Megane for plentiful spares? Engine + accessories, box/clutch, most of the tyres, seat upholstery, heater pack still good)
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
  5 Lastest Threads by tahrey
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Midlands scrapyards? General Chat hondo 3 828 28th December 2013 01:10 PM
Removing rain/light sensor, filler flap, wiper... Bodywork tahrey 2 1261 28th December 2013 01:07 PM
Clutch replacement interval? Transmissions Meganeman 5 2352 2nd September 2013 08:57 AM
Clio DCi 5 / 6 speed interchangeability? Transmissions tahrey 0 638 2nd September 2013 08:47 AM
bizarre gearbox fail, 2007 clio dci Transmissions tahrey 2 1254 20th August 2013 09:01 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome